Monday, January 4, 2010

MadMen I

I ran across Bryan Batt, in the Los Angeles airport, but before I could collar him our flight was announced and he was gone. Brian plays the role of art director on the popular MadMen television series.

As some of you know, I had a rather interesting career in the ad agency business before becoming a novelist. So it was no surprise I became more than a little hooked on MadMen. And more than a little critical.

It’s an eerie feeling watching actors play the parts when I was actually among the flesh-and-blood types in the thick of the battle back then, struggling to come up with great campaigns and then struggling to sell them to the agency suits and our clients. I wanted to say “You and Don Draper—what are you guys doing in our shoes? Do you have any idea what it was really like?”

Before MadMen almost all television series and movie roles were about doctors and lawyers, psychiatrists and CIA agents, cops and politicians. Maybe, just maybe, the time has come for those of us who spilled blood in the advertising trenches to receive our due.

No comments:

Post a Comment